When you install a new Kentico instance on a machine, it is automatically registered within Kentico Installation Manager. In some cases though, you may need to register instances manually. For example:
- Instances transferred or copied onto the machine without going through the installation
- Microsoft Azure projects
Registering an instance in KIM
- KIM is compatible with Kentico instances starting from the previous major version. For example, you can register instances of Kentico 11 or 12 in KIM 12.
- You can only register complete web projects that use the standard folder structure (including the solution file, CMS and Lib sub-folders etc.). For example, you cannot add web site deployments of the CMS folder as instances in KIM.
- Click Register on the main toolbar.
- Enter the following details:
- Name – identifying name of the instance displayed in the Name column in the list of instances.
- URL – the URL under which the instance is accessible.
- Physical path – path to the instance's web project root folder in the file system.
- Show site selection after clicking Browse – if enabled, the tool displays a dialog containing all running sites stored in the instance's database after clicking the Browse button (useful for multi-site instances or for content-only sites that run under a different presentation URL).
- Click OK.
The KIM registers your instance and displays it in the list of managed instances.
Where is the information stored
Information about registered instances is stored in c:\ProgramData\KIM\kim.xml. The root <sites> element contains <item> elements that represent individual registered instances. The <item> elements have the following sub-elements representing properties of the registered instances:
- <guid> – unique identifier of the instance (not related to the application GUID in the web.config file of the given instance).
- <url> – URL under which the instance is accessible.
- <name> – identifying name of the instance displayed in the Name column in the list of instances.
- <version> – version of Kentico.
- <path> – path to the instance's web project root folder in the file system.
- <created> – date and time when the instance was registered in Kentico Installation Manager.
- <hotfix> – number of the latest hotfix applied to the instance.
- <showlist> - indicates if a dialog box with available web sites on the given instance is displayed after clicking the Browse button.
<?xml version="1.0"?> <sites> <item> <guid>6085ee02-8fff-4978-abd1-1a0261a57724</guid> <url>http://localhost/Kentico12/</url> <name>Kentico12</name> <version>12.0</version> <path>C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Kentico11</path> <created>2018-12-24T08:26:39</created> <hotfix>0</hotfix> <showlist>1</showlist> </item> ... </sites>