URL shorteners allow you to access long URLs using a shorter link. A URL shortener takes a full link URL and creates an alias for the link on a server with a short domain name (such as http://bit.ly/1sNZMwL). URL shorteners can also count various statistics, such as the number of clicks on a particular link.
Kentico allows you to use URL shorteners for links that you paste into text when posting to social media. Kentico integrates the following URL shorteners:
By default, users can use TinyURL.com. Bitly requires setup.
Setting up the Bitly shortener
Bitly requires applications that use its services to authenticate themselves. You must create an account on https://bitly.com/ and register your API login and API key into Kentico.
You must have the Global administrator privilege level to do this.
- Sign up or log in to https://bitly.com/.
- Open the Settings menu in the upper right corner.
- Click Settings > Advanced Settings > API Support.
- Copy the Login and API Key information.
- Open the Kentico administration interface.
- Open the Settings application and navigate to the Social marketing -> URL shorteners category.
- Paste your Login and API Key values into the corresponding settings.
- Save the settings.
Bitly now appears in the selection of URL shorteners when creating a new post, tweet or company update in the Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn application.