Form controls provide the interface for the editing forms that allow users to input data in Kentico, both in the administration interface and on the pages of Portal Engine sites. Each form control represents a single field, and displays a certain form element, such as a text box for user input, a group of radio buttons, a selector etc.
You can insert form controls into all editing forms that are based on the Kentico form engine, including the following:
- Page type editing forms (Form tab)
- Web part and Widget properties
- Editing forms of system objects (classes)
- Editing forms of Custom tables
- On-line forms (only on Portal Engine sites)
- Alternative forms
- Custom website settings
- Report parameters
- Macro rule parameters
Form controls are implemented as standard ASP.NET controls using one of the following approaches:
- As a user control (.ascx file)
- As a control class compiled in an assembly
In both cases, the control class must inherit from the CMS.FormEngine.Web.UI.FormEngineUserControl class.