Kentico Import Toolkit is an external utility which enables you to import data from external sources into Kentico. As a source of data, you can use:
- MS SQL database
- XML file
- CSV file
- XLSX file
Data from these sources can be imported as:
- Page attachments
- Object attachments (metafiles)
- Custom table items
- On-line form items
- Resource strings
Launching Kentico Import Toolkit
Kentico Import Toolkit is installed automatically on your computer with Kentico.
You can launch Kentico Import Toolkit from the Windows Start menu -> All programs -> Kentico <version> -> Utilities.
Using the utility to import data
There are two ways how you can import data from external sources to Kentico:
- Using the wizard - a step-by-step guide through the import process. Also necessary to create an import profile for the command line mode.
You can also make use of these practical examples:
- Example - Importing users using the Kentico Import Toolkit
- Example - importing a culture version of a page
- Example - Importing new products using Kentico Import Toolkit
Importing data from the command line
You can run the Import Toolkit utility from the command line by executing the ImportToolkit.exe file located in <Kentico installation folder>\Bin (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Kentico\<version number>\Bin) using a special syntax.
To perform the actual import:
- Create an import profile file in the last step of the wizard.
- Run the utility (located in the <Kentico installation folder>\Bin folder) using the ImportToolkit <profile file name> syntax.
- You can launch the utility with an optional -i parameter, which ignores errors during the import.
- You can specify either a relative or an absolute path to the .iprofile file.
- Make sure you use proper quotation when entering an absolute path containing special characters, e.g., blank spaces.
ImportToolkit my_profile.iprofile -i
ImportToolkit "C:\Temp\ImportToolkit\my_profile.iprofile" -i
After executing the command, the tool will import the data to your Kentico instance based on the settings contained in the specified import profile.
Was this page helpful?