Content locking allows content editors to lock a page for editing, so that other editors cannot modify the page at the same time.
Content locking is based on the check-in/check-out principle. The following is an example of operations in the page life cycle when content locking is used:
- A user creates a new page and saves it. The system automatically checks it out (locks it), so that other users cannot edit it.
- The user finishes the changes, checks in the page and submits it for approval.
- A reviewer checks out the page and makes changes, then checks it in and approves it.
Enabling content locking
- For a particular workflow
To enable content locking globally for all sites or a particular site:
- Open the Settings application.
- Navigate to the Content -> Content management category.
- Select the Use check-in/check-out setting.
- Click Save.
All workflows which have the Use check-in/check-out property set to Use site settings now have content locking enabled. Content locking is available for the respective pages under these workflows.
To enable content locking for a particular workflow:
- Open the Workflows application.
- Edit the workflow.
- Set the Use check-in/check-out property to Yes.
- Click Save.
Content locking is now enabled for pages under the particular workflow.
Checking pages in and out
To check out pages when editing them, use the Check out button. When you check out a page, you can then check it in with the Check in button.
To discard the changes you made while the page was checked out, click Undo check-out. The page will revert back to the latest version before the check-out.
Changing version numbers and commenting on versions
You can use the Check in/Check out/Undo check-out buttons on the Properties -> Versions page. This page enables you to specify custom version numbers and comments for each version when you check in the page.
Checking in any page
Users to whom the Check in any page permission was granted can check in any page, even if they haven't checked out the page. You can set the permission in the Permissions application, under Modules -> Content.
However, this check-in can only be performed from the Properties -> Versions tab of the selected page, by clicking either the Check in or the Undo check-out button.
Was this page helpful?