You can automate or outsource the translation of website content using translation services. Translation services allow you to create multilingual sites without having to edit the text in the Kentico administration interface. The system automatically ensures the transfer of data between the website's pages and translation providers. Translation data is exported and imported via files using the standard XML-based XLIFF format.
There are two general categories of translation services:
- Machine services - use translation software to programatically convert source text from one language to another. By default, Kentico supports the Microsoft Translator and Google Translate. See Machine translation - Microsoft Translator and Machine translation - Google Translate.
- Standard services (human translation) - provide an automated interface between Kentico and external human translators. By default, you can use the Translations.com service. See Human translation services - Translations.com.
You can also develop custom services.
The main purpose of translation services is to create language versions of the website's pages based on the content in another language.
Enabling translation services
To enable the translation service functionality:
- Open the Settings application.
- Select the Content -> Translation services category.
- Check Enable translation services.
- Click Save.
Translation services settings
You can find the settings related to translation services in the Settings application within the Content -> Translation services category. For each translation service you intend to use on your website, you have to configure the corresponding settings.
Managing translation services
You can manage translation services in the Translation services application.
For creating new translation services, see Developing custom translation services.