Setting triggers for automation processes
To configure processes to start automatically, you need to define triggers. Each trigger represents a set of conditions that determine under which circumstances the system runs the related process.
For example, you can create a trigger that automatically initiates a marketing process for all new contacts who arrive on your website from a certain country.
To set a trigger for an automation process:
Note: Each process can have multiple triggers. The process starts for any contacts who fulfill at least one of the triggers.
- Open the Marketing automation application.
- Edit ( ) the process for which you want to create the trigger.
- Switch to the Process tab (and Design mode).
- Select the Start triggers step in the process designer graph.
- Click New trigger in the panel on the right.
- Enter a Display name for the new trigger.
- We recommend writing a suitable summary for every trigger.
- Trigger display names are listed within the description of the Start triggers step in the process designer.
Select the trigger Type:
Activates the process for new contacts created by the system. You can specify an Additional condition that must be fulfilled for the trigger to start the process.
Activates the process whenever contact information changes. You can specify an Additional condition that must be fulfilled for the trigger to start the process.
Contact performed an activity
Activates the process when a contact performs a specific activity.
- Select the Activity type that contacts must perform to initiate the process.
- You can specify an Additional condition that must be fulfilled for the trigger to start the process. Use the Activity... rules to specify detailed requirements for the trigger activity.
Contact scored X or more
Activates the process for contacts who exceed a specified score value.
- You can specify an Additional condition that must be fulfilled for the trigger to start the process.
- Select which score the trigger monitors using the Score name field.
- Type the Score value that contacts must reach to initiate the process.
Schedules the process to run for a specified set of contacts at a given time.
- Set the Occurrence – you can either trigger the process Once on a specific date and time, or set up a recurring process and configure the time interval (for example, every day, every week on a selected day, on the last day of each month, once per year on a specific date, etc.).
Add a Contact condition to select the contacts for which you want to run the process.
Important: If you leave the condition empty, the trigger starts the process for all known contacts, which may have a negative performance impact on your site.
Time-based triggers allow you to set up various marketing scenarios. For example, you can:
- Regularly evaluate your contacts and automatically perform marketing actions for contacts who fulfill a condition (e.g. send an email to contacts on their birthday).
- Schedule marketing campaigns around recurring events (holidays, regular seasonal sales, etc.).
- Manually start a marketing process at a scheduled time for a targeted group of contacts.
- Save the new trigger.
The process now automatically starts for all contacts that fulfill the conditions of the trigger.