Setting up search on your website
Kentico provides an index-based search solution, which allows users to search through the content of websites and various types of data within the system.
You can choose between two different approaches – Azure Search and local indexes.
- Indexed content is stored using the cloud-based Azure Search
- Wide range of features, including faceted navigation, search result scoring, language analysis, etc.
- Requires an Azure Search service (subscriptions are paid except for limited search scenarios, the price depends on the selected Pricing tier)
- No default components for searching through Azure Search indexes and displaying search results (requires custom development)
- Search queries can target only one search index
To learn more, see the Using Azure Search sub-chapter.
Locally stored search indexes
- Search indexes are stored as files on the web server's file system
- Offers multiple specialized index types by default (web crawler indexes and indexes covering custom table, forum or form data)
- Built-in components for searching and displaying results (for websites based on ASP.NET web forms)
- Searches can target multiple indexes
To learn more, see the Using locally stored search indexes sub-chapter.